Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Important things everyone should be thinking about

So many ridiculously important things going on in the news lately, its hard to just do a blog post on all of them...but we should all be aware of their existence and should at least be following them closely.

First, the Graham Amendment concerning suspending habeas corpus rights for detainees. Here's a good link with explanations on the latest. If I'm reading this right (please correct me if I'm wrong) this amendment will end any challenges these detainees can make to US courts concerning their imprisonment. I don't like this amendment and it goes back to my whole argument concerning the US and torture. The US should be at the forefront of human rights, justice and the law. I don't care what other countries do, it means absolutely zero to what the US should do. If we are holding people as prisoners, detainees, enemy combatants, whatever...we should have reason for holding them. We should be giving them SOME due process. We shouldn't be torturing them. We shouldn't have 'black sites' where we can do whatever we want without anyone finding out?? Do these things actually need to be said? We should be treating them with the same treatment we expect Americans to be given, no matter their status. We should hold OURSELVES to a higher standard and we need to win the war of ideals.

Alito and abortion. Lately, I almost wish the SCOTUS would overturn Roe v. Wade, so the women in this country could go apeshit and level of protest that would ensue would shut things down. If you don't believe Roe v. Wade was decidely correctly, thats fine. But are you honestly saying that the document that defines my rights as a citizen, as a human being in this country, DOESN'T allow me to make decisions about what happens to my own body? You want me to put those decisions in the hands of voters? I have a couple of words for anyone who thinks that...F*^K OFF! Its my body and I'll make my own decisions. I realize this issue crosses some ethical boundaries...rights of fathers, rights of the unborn. I'm also in favor of a ban on late term abortions and the like. However, voters don't get to decide what I do with my own body. Thats my freedom, my pursuit of happiness, my liberty.
I know it makes me sound like a man-hating feminist, but I don't care. This would NEVER be a question if men were the ones who got pregnant. Think about that for one second and realize the truth in that. And that my friends, is what most pro-choice women believe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Justus said...

But are you honestly saying that the document that defines my rights as a citizen, as a human being in this country, DOESN'T allow me to make decisions about what happens to my own body? You want me to put those decisions in the hands of voters? I have a couple of words for anyone who thinks that...F*^K OFF! Its my body and I'll make my own decisions.

I agree with you for the most part. I take exception to this philosophy at some point though, under the belief that there are two bodies involved. I don't think that a fetus one day before birth is a different type of creature than a baby one day after being born. Where exactly the line should be drawn is complex, but I think that viability of the fetus is a good place to start. If it could (likely) survive without the mothers body, it seems to me that the woman (and we as a society) is morally obligated to remove it, rather than kill it.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Katinula said...

I agree, which is why I support a ban on late term abortions. I feel that a person should be able to make a decision by that time whether or not to keep a pregnancy (with the exception of the life of the mother). However, the only thing I can't seem to propose a solution to is this 'viability' line will move earlier and earlier as our technology, for lack of a better term, gets better. I don't know how that will work.
But I do agree with you...at some point, an abortion as an option should be off the table.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

The viability line will probably move.

If we could implant a 4 week old fetus in an artificial womb for example, such a procedure would remove any 'its my body' type issues.

Assuming that such a procedure was as safe as an abortion the only remaining issue would be cost. That would make the arguement pretty similar for both men and women though, and as a society I think we could work that out just fine.

I expect that that will be the ultimate resolution of the abortion debate.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney