Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Snippets and More

Stuff from around the blogosphere...expect more comments to come. (*Note: after proofreading I realized all my links were to conservative/Republicans. Now, who says I'm not fair and balanced??!!)

Michelle Malkin is all over the Democratic staffers who illegally obtained Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele's credit report. As an aside, can she (and other bloggers) PLEASE stop 'coining' scandal names? I mean...'Chuckaquiddick'? I have a pretty good sense of humor, but give me a break. Not everything needs a name or slogan. I've had my fill of '____-gates' and 'AirAmericascam' and '____ lied, people died'. Get an imagination for crying out loud!

Dave Justus posts a picture I was just marvelling at...the giant squid, never before photographed alive and in its habitat. This is a monumental achievement for the Japanese scientists and oceanography in general.

Environmental Republican is in awe of Christopher Hitchens. I enjoy his writing as well even if I don't agree with it very often. I have to add my two cents here and say that when I went and protested against the War in Iraq before it began, I was angered by and said so to my friend, these 'tag along' groups at the protest. The majority of the protestors were there for one reason, to protest the war in Iraq. These groups--'Free Mumia' and the rest of them, hurt the cause by using a large gathering to give credence to their sometimes radical ideas. Its one of the reasons I haven't protested since (on several issues). But that doesn't dismiss statements like this:

2pm EDT update: Cindy Sheehan arrested. What a waste of police time and energy.


Welcome to American dipshits...letting your voice be heard is part of the deal. Get an effing clue. Passive democracy sounds pretty shitty to me.

John Cole on the ridiculous ID debate happening in Pennsylvania right now. Thank God someone still has the stomach to cover it. I've long since lost all rational thought on the matter and just really wish I could go and beat those people over the head with the reality stick.

And lastly, and most importantly, Andrew Sullivan on the torture and abuse of detainees and the new attacks on Capt. Fishback, the newest whistleblower. Please, PLEASE go read it all. It is so important and vital to our future. I couldn't say it any better than Fishback himself (in a letter to John McCain--emphasis mine):

Some do not see the need for this work. Some argue that since our actions are not as horrifying as Al Qaeda's, we should not be concerned. When did Al Qaeda become any type of standard by which we measure the morality of the United States? We are America, and our actions should be held to a higher standard, the ideals expressed in documents such as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Others argue that clear standards will limit the President's ability to wage the War on Terror. Since clear standards only limit interrogation techniques, it is reasonable for me to assume that supporters of this argument desire to use coercion to acquire information from detainees. This is morally inconsistent with the Constitution and justice in war. It is unacceptable.

Both of these arguments stem from the larger question, the most important question that this generation will answer. Do we sacrifice our ideals in order to preserve security?

My take? A resounding NO.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Justus said...

"Do we sacrifice our ideals in order to preserve security?"

At a certain point, if it is our ideals or our survival, then the answer would have to be yes I would think.

We certainly are not there yet, but the idea that nothing should make us abandon our principles seems childish.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Katinula said...

Answer this then...what are we trying to provide security for after we've sacrificed our ideals? What society would we be trying to protect? Civilization for civilization's sake? Our ideals ARE our civilization. Without those, nothing makes us different.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

I am saying, if the choice was sacrifice my ideals or let my friends and family die, my ideals would pretty much go out the window.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney