Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Friday, December 09, 2005

Just a quick post

I had to break work and post because this (via Sullivan) made me laugh and also pretty much sums up how I feel right about now.

Most of my readers know that I do not favor a pull out of troops from Iraq, and I never have. I was against the war from the beginning (I was in Washington for the protest before the war began), however we are there now and must finish the job. I haven't had any time to comment on the latest rumblings from both Democrats or Republicans regarding 'defeatists' or withdrawal.

I think it takes just as much suspension of reality to say 'Bush deliberately lied in order to take us to war' as it does to say 'Democrats want us to lose in Iraq'. Both of those statements imply an actual overt 'evil-ness' that I don't think either group qualifies for. However, I do believe intelligence was manipulated and exaggerated -- some maythink for good reason, but it is still not right -- and its obvious to me that the Democrats will gain politically from bad news from Iraq.

Calls for immediate troop withdrawal I think are simplistic and honestly irresponsible. One needs to look no further than Afghanistan to see what happens when we bolster a people against an enemy and then leave them flat with no support.

Anyway, on to the funny. Mr. Dave Barry:

"The Democrats seem to be basically nicer people, but they have demonstrated time and again that they have the management skills of celery. They're the kind of people who'd stop to help you change a flat, but would somehow manage to set your car on fire. I would be reluctant to entrust them with a Cuisinart, let alone the economy. The Republicans, on the other hand, would know how to fix your tire, but they wouldn't bother to stop because they'd want to be on time for Ugly Pants Night at the country club."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney