Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Monday, October 24, 2005

My favorite stupid comment this week

Kay Bailey Hutchinson...what the hell were you thinking. I realize, you are a Senator and have a busy schedule. But, you have plenty of people working for you. You employ people whose only job is to make sure you don't sound like a complete idiot. Now yes, there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the Plame investigation, if you are so inclined. However saying this:

I certainly hope that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn’t indict on the crime so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation were not a waste of time and dollars.

After knowingly having said this (as part of her statement defending her 'guilty' votes for impeachment of President Clinton for, surprisingly enough, perjury and obstruction of justice):

I was reminded as well, however, that the laws of our Country are applicable to us all, including the President, and they must be obeyed. The concept of equal justice under law and the importance of absolute truth in legal proceedings is the foundation of our justice system in the courts.

I do not hold to the view of our Constitution that there must be an actual, indictable crime in order for an act of a public officer to be impeachable. It is clear to this Senator that there are, indeed, circumstances, short of a felony criminal offense that would justify the removal of a public officer from office, including the President of the United States. Manifest injury to the Office of the President, to our Nation, and to the American people, and gross abuses of trust and of public office clearly can reach the level of intensity that would justify the impeachment and removal of a leader.

C'mon now! Either be consistent or shut the hell up. I wish there was an IQ requirement for Congress sometimes.

Most of my readers know I think that someone should go to jail for outing Valerie Plame, if it is shown that indeed she was classified as NOC (non-official cover) by the CIA and that information was classified. A perjury or obstruction of justice charge I think is serious, but I think quite possibly would be a waste of time and money to come out with. All that investigation and the only charge would be for someone lying during the investigation? A serious charge, no doubt, but not one, I think, worthy of the effort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Justus said...

I think perjury is serious, and I think Hutchinson is wrong. In her defense though, there is a difference with ending up lying in an investigation where there is no actual provable crime (like Martha Stuart) and lying in court (like Bill Clinton.)

Personally, I think lying in court should be a serious offence but lying to an investigator should be considered less serious.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Welcome back, K. Hey, I may have presumed too much. but I was asked who I thought I spawned as a blogger and you were the one I could think of:

http://www.acepilots.com/images/blog_tree.html

Go and pass on if you spurred someone to start a blog.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Katinula said...

Thanks! No--between you and Z, you both spawned me. You were both always talking about your blogs and how I just had to get one.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney