Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Briefs...

Today Andrew Sullivan had some really thought provoking posts. There is one in particular that was interesting:
SCHEUER ON THE "COVERT JEWS": A pretty amazing piece of dialogue at a Council on Foreign Relations meeting where CIA operative and author of "Imperial Hubris," Michael Scheuer, let rip on Israel's alleged "clandestine" influence on American politics:
SCHEUER: I always have thought that there's nothing too dangerous to talk about in America, that there shouldn't be anything. And it happens that Israel is the one thing that seems to be too dangerous to talk about. And I wrote in my book that I congratulate them. It's probably the most successful covert action program in the history of man to control--the important political debate in a country of 270 million people is an extraordinary accomplishment. I wish our clandestine service could do as well. The point I would make--the point I try to make basically in the book is we just cannot--we can no longer afford to be seen as the dog that's led by the tail. I've tried to be very clear in saying we have an alliance with the Israelis. We have a moral obligation to try to work through this issue, if we can. But I don't think we can afford to be led around, or at least appear to be led around by them. And I certainly, as an American, find it unbearable to think there's something in this country you can't talk about. That's really my spiel I guess on that, sir.

Emphasis mine. While his point about the 'covert action' of Jews is ridiculous, I do somewhat agree with his point about dangerous things to talk about. I hate the idea that having an opinion about something makes you predjudiced or somesuch nonsense. We should be able to talk frankly about policies towards Israel without fear of being seen as Anti-semitic. Along the same lines, we should be able to talk about Bush's failures without being seen as cowards or treasonous. Andrew Sullivan rightly points out that Scheuer seems to think its covert only because they are Jews. Nothing like taking a good point and ruining it with ridiculous predjudices.
On a funnier note, check out his 'American Idol' link. Hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney