Reasonably Ascertainable Reality

Thoughts and musings on current events and other random occurrences.

Name:
Location: South Jersey, United States

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A great read

This Q&A is a must read for those on the right and the left (hat tip Andrew Sullivan).
Taking down Michael Moore and the Right Wing in the same session. Wow.

Q: In my experience, it’s almost impossible to persuade people on the
Left to look at the allegations made against Moore. How have your friends on the
Left reacted to the details of fabrications, etc, you have listed? Do you now
expect to be "excommunicated"?
A: I must say that this has not at all been
my experience. The idea of Moore as the universal darling of the Left is, I
think, a product of the right-wing media. There's been quite a lot of criticism
of Moore in the left-wing press--or what passes for it--off the top of my head I
can think of pieces in Dissent, The New Republic, Salon, Slate, LA Weekly,
Blueprint, Open Democracy, and numerous left-wing blogs. Believe it or not,
there are great numbers of thoughtful liberals who despise Moore and consider
him very bad for the left. Most of my friends are on the Left, and none of them
respect him. Well, maybe one or two, with reservations and caveats. Far from
"excommunicating" me, my friends have encouraged me by saying that what I'm
doing is important for the health of the Left, and wished me success.


and...

Republicans have to rein in their own viciously partisan manipulators.
You asked why Michael Moore is loved by some on the Left, and what the Democrats
should do about him. I could ask the same question in regard to Rush Limbaugh,
Michael Reagan, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Neil Boortz, G.
Gordon Liddy, Tucker Carlson, Jay Nordlinger... The list goes on and on and on
and on. It's quite fair to criticize Jimmy Carter for inviting Moore into his
box at the convention; what about the radical Congressional Republicans of '94
naming Rush Limbaugh an honorary member of the House? What about the Right's
embrace of Coulter and Savage, who routinely refer to Democrats as traitors and
terrorist sympathizers? What about Richard Mellon Scaife generating rumors that
Clinton was a murderer and a drug dealer? Don't recall any Republicans
denouncing that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find an Attorney